Mortlake
  • Home
  • About
    • Photo`s >
      • Heritage Signs
      • Old Town Photo`s
      • Mortlake Soldier Settlement Photos
  • Visitors
    • Accommodation
    • Coming Events
    • Things To Do >
      • What's on in Mortlake
      • History Trail
    • Olivine
    • Useful Links
  • Community
  • Business
    • Business Listing
    • Map
  • Contact
  • Blog

MORTLAKE HISTORY TRAIL

The History Trail takes in 20 historic buildings of Mortlake. It was put together by students of Mortlake High School. You can do it on foot, by car or a combination of both. It starts at the former Temperance Hall (1873) in Shaw St (the Hamilton Highway) which has since been used as a glove factory and RSL centre (you may wish to park your car here).

On the other side of Shaw St, and slightly further east along the road, is a building constructed in 1892-93 as a local history museum. Although it was initially a popular attraction it eventually closed (the material was donated to the museum at Warrnambool) and, from 1910, it served as a billiards room and recreational hall. On its eastern side is the former post office (1864) which closed in 1912 when a new post office was built. Next is the former courthouse which was built in 1864 and closed in 1982. The adjacent building served as the shire offices from 1878 until 1964. An additional room was added in 1880 for the use of the shire president.

On the north-western corner of Shaw St and Church St is St Andrew's Uniting Church which was built in 1862 as a Presbyterian church. Cross over Church St and walk along Shaw St a short distance to St James' Anglican Church (1864-65) then return along Shaw St to the Church St corner. Diagonally opposite St Andrew's is St Stephen's Lutheran Church, built of bluestone in 1867 as a Methodist church. This Gothic Revival design features freestone dressings and lancet windows (the less enthusiastic may wish to return to their car and drive through the next section until reaching Willow Cottage, as outlined below).

Turn left into Church St then left into Boundary Rd. To the right is a private residence erected in 1857 as the town's original Presbyterian Church. It served as both church and denominational school until 1862 when St Andrew's was completed. When the Shire of Mortlake was established in 1864 this became the shire offices until the Shaw St building was completed in 1878.

Continue along Boundary Rd then turn left into Mill St. To the right, on the hill, are the remains of the Mortlake Flour Mill, built in 1856 to capitalise on the needs of hungry gold-diggers in the region. Now in a dilapidated state, it was constructed as a three-storey squared rubble bluestone structure and was initially wind-powered. New owners installed a steam engine and a tin chimney the following year. This was replaced by the present six-storey square-plane stone chimney in 1861.

Slightly further along the road are two bluestone cottages, 'Moffat' and 'Pullenboon', built, probably, in the 1860s in connection with the flour mill. Both are thought to have been designed by local architect Alexander Hamilton. Further along Mill St, to the right, is the former Presbyterian manse (1883-84), now privately owned.
Return a short distance along Mill St and turn right into Officer St. At the north-western corner of Officer St and Townsend St is Willow Cottage, a residence built of bluestone in the 1870s or 1880s for a Mr McWilliam who owned a nearby butcher's shop. Note the ornate wrought-iron verandah. Across Townsend St is the former Grieve and Benn's Store, a bluestone structure dating from 1869 (John Grieve was twice shire president).

Slightly further along Officer St are the old stables of the Mt Shadwell Hotel on the Dunlop St corner. The stables, originally erected in 1863, burned down twice - in 1899 and 1909. It has since been used for boxing and ten-pin bowling. The Mt Shadwell Hotel was the town's first. It was built in 1855 although the present facade dates from 1928.
​
Turn right into Dunlop St and proceed to Mac's Hotel at the Webster St corner. It was built in 1859 as a single-storey bluestone structure but was rebuilt and extended in 1910. Cross over Dunlop St and head back towards Officer St. To the right is Penrose House, a two-storey building of half-coursed, rock-faced basalt with distinguished quoins, architraves, cornice and central doorway. It was designed by Alexander Hamilton in 1867.

Turn right into Officer St. To the left is the Rose Garden, established as a fine Botanical Garden in the early 1880s on land that had previously been a swamp.
The last attraction is the old butter factory. It is a reasonable distance away so you may wish to drive south along Officer St, turning right into Terang Road. By the Boundary Road intersection is the old factory which was built in 1894 and which manufactured its produce under the trade name 'Butterfly'. Local farmers brought their milk to the factory by horse-drawn cart and had the cream skimmed off for butter, some of which was exported to England. The plant had an electricity generator by 1910 and, by 1930, produced an annual 680 kg but was bought out and closed down in 1936.

Recreation Reserve
There is a large reserve in the centre of town which has a swimming pool, tennis courts, a playground, picnic and barbecue facilities and a rose garden.
​

Services

Service One
Service Two
Service Three
​

Company

About
The Company
Menu

Support

Contact
FAQ
Terms of Use
© COPYRIGHT 2015. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
  • Home
  • About
    • Photo`s >
      • Heritage Signs
      • Old Town Photo`s
      • Mortlake Soldier Settlement Photos
  • Visitors
    • Accommodation
    • Coming Events
    • Things To Do >
      • What's on in Mortlake
      • History Trail
    • Olivine
    • Useful Links
  • Community
  • Business
    • Business Listing
    • Map
  • Contact
  • Blog